Position: Tap Room Manager
Reports to: President (dotted line to Chief Right Hand)
Location: Malden, Massachusetts
Schedule: Full-time (40+ hours/week), includes evenings and weekends.
About Idle Hands Craft Ales
Founded in 2010, Idle Hands Craft Ales LLC is a private, family-owned microbrewery based in Malden, Massachusetts. We were the Boston area’s first nanobrewery and are in the midst of our next growth phase, opening a new, expanded brewery and tap room in Malden. We are brewing traditionalists who focus on transforming simple ingredients into subtle and intricate flavors for all palettes, focused specifically on Belgian- and German-inspired craft beer. Idle Hands is a locally focused company with distribution currently only in Massachusetts.
We are seeking an experienced, enthusiastic and passionate craft beer aficionado to oversee all operational aspects of our new 50-seat tap room. Idle Hands has always had a successful tasting room presence (previously in Everett) but with our expansion into Malden, we have the opportunity to redefine the visitor experience and turn our tap room into a key craft beer consumer destination in the Boston area. This individual will join a small but growing team and will be instrumental to the continued growth and success of the brewery. Idle Hands Craft Ales is well positioned for continued growth and this position will prove to be a rewarding career opportunity for the right individual with a strong team orientation, entrepreneurial mindset and authentic appreciation for the craft.
The Tap Room Manager will oversee all operational aspects of our tap room and will have ownership of:
- Tap Room Operations
- Daily opening and closing of the tap room for public visitation and private events
- Serving beer to and filling growlers for customers
- Serving as point of contact for all tap room related inquiries
- Coordinating and managing food vendors, caterers and food trucks on a daily basis, ensuring adequate stock and freshness
- Maintaining safe, clean, healthy and sustainable tap room environment by daily cleaning
- Setting up, maintaining and cleaning tap system
- Ensuring adequate stocking of beer and sorting merchandise inventory
- Mitigating and responding to all tap room related issues as they arise
- Working with production to ensure a well-rounded draft list in the tap room
- The Customer Experience
- Ensuring an enjoyable and consistent Idle Hands Craft Ales customer experience
- Maintaining a welcoming, educational, exciting and inviting tap room experience
- Educating visitors about our products, company and history
- Actively soliciting customer feedback and analyze to identify opportunities to improve experience
- Serving as brand ambassador for the public by participating in external-facing events at the tap room or off-site tastings and beer festivals/trade shows as needed/available
- Assisting in utilizing brewery social media/marketing channels to promote events and updates related to the tap room
- Identifying additional promotional/event opportunities and foster relationships for promoting the brewery
- Financial Profitability for Tap Room Operations as they relate to overall brewery goals
- Overseeing the point of sale system and cash drawer
- Facilitating inventory maintenance and forecasting based on sales history
- Analyzing trends on visitors, beer consumption, and sales
- Participating in selection of appropriate Idle Hands-branded merchandise
- Organizing/designing merchandise display(s) to maximize revenue
- Tap Room Team Leadership
- Participating in the recruitment and selection of tap room and special event staff
- On-boarding and training staff on tap room operations
- Assisting in development of updates for operations and associated training of staff
- Identifying and disseminating product and procedural updates to staff on an on-going basis
- Monitoring staff performance and provide direct counsel for corrective action to ensure consistency in tap room operations
- Modeling the key attributes and cultural values of Idle Hands at all times
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3 years minimum experience in a service-focused role required
- Proven track record of successfully managing a brewery tap room or a craft beer focused bar/restaurant required
- TIPS, Servsafe Food Manager, Allergen Awareness and ChokeSaver certification strongly preferred. Selected candidate will be required to become certified upon hire and before starting.
- Cicerone certification level I, a plus. Selected candidate will be required to obtain Cicerone certification within 6 months of hire.
- Knowledge of and passion for craft beer and the brewing industry.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and proven leadership skills
- Ability to troubleshoot tap systems/kegs
- Strong communications skills – knowing when to ask questions, offer solutions, discuss issues and escalate problems – and then communicating effectively in these situations
- Attention to detail and adherence to standard operating procedures with minimal deviation
- Retail math understanding required
- Point of sales system knowledge and experience highly recommended.
- Knowledge of safe work operations, safety policies and procedures including sanitary handling of beverages, ready-to-eat food and potentially hazardous chemical and materials
- Candidates must be able to effectively perform the following on a regular basis:
- Ability to function productively while standing and moving for significant periods of time necessary
- Moving heavy objects repeatedly with minimal assistance required (i.e. moving cases/sixtels/165 pound kegs of beer by self or with use of a hand cart/dolly)
- Be exposed to wet conditions
- Ability to operate effectively with continuous, moderate noise levels
- Entrepreneurial team spirit: willing to take initiative and jump in where needed; resourceful in making suggestions and offering solutions
- Problem solving: ability to quickly assess a situation and solve problems in a timely and effective manner
- Dependent independence: ability to work independently but also know when to seek direction/guidance appropriately and as needed
- Compensation will be based on experience. This is a non-exempt position. Selected individual will be eligible to earn overtime compensation for hours worked over 40 in any given week plus tips earned.
- Pay is biweekly based on hours worked.
- Paid time off
- Branded brewery clothing including t-shirt, hoodie and polo
- Admissions to limited entry beer and industry-only events
- Weekly beer allotment
How to Apply:
Send a copy of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include salary expectations and be sure to share your interest in this role and Idle Hands Craft Ales in your letter.
Note: All hires will be asked to provide professional references and will also be contingent on the successful passing of a credit and criminal background check.