Position: Tap Room Bartender
Reports to: Tap Room Manager
Location: Malden, Massachusetts
Schedule: Full & Part time Positions available. Afternoons, evenings and weekends required.
About Idle Hands Craft Ales
Founded in 2010, Idle Hands Craft Ales LLC is a private, family-owned microbrewery based in Malden, Massachusetts. We were the Boston area’s first nanobrewery and are in the midst of our next growth phase, opening a new, expanded brewery and tap room in Malden. We are brewing traditionalists who focus on transforming simple ingredients into subtle and intricate flavors for all palettes, focused specifically on Belgian- and German-inspired craft beer. Idle Hands is a locally focused company with distribution currently only in Massachusetts.
We are seeking an energetic and passionate craft beer aficionado as our Tap Room Bartender of our new 50 seat tap room. This position will be responsible for serving beer and other retail sales activities at our tap room in Malden, Massachusetts. Idle Hands has always had a successful tasting room presence (previously in Everett) but with our expansion into Malden, we have the opportunity to redefine the visitor experience and turn our tap room into a key craft beer consumer destination in the Boston area. This individual will join a small but growing team and will be instrumental to the continued growth and success of the brewery. Idle Hands Craft Ales is well positioned for continued growth and this position will prove to be a rewarding career opportunity for the right individual with a strong team orientation, entrepreneurial mindset and authentic appreciation for the craft.
- Serve beer, fill growlers and serve food to customers in a friendly and upbeat manner
- Ensure an enjoyable and consistent Idle Hands Craft Ales customer experience for the public
- Maintain a welcoming, educational, exciting and inviting experience
- Promote Idle Hands Craft Ales and serve as brand ambassador by answering questions and educating visitors about our products, company and culture
- Gather an understanding about the customer experience and soliciting feedback to make it better
- Working with our POS system to ensure accuracy of transactions and cash drawer
- Cleaning the tap room and bathrooms at the end of service or when required to maintain tap room cleanliness at all times
- Work closely with the Tap Room Manager and Assistant Tap Room Manager in various aspects of operating and promoting the tap room
- 1 year minimum service-focused role in a bar/restaurant/brewery or similar environment
- TIPS (or equiv) certification strongly desired. Selected candidate will be required to become certified upon hire and before starting.
- Cicerone certification level I, a plus. Selected candidate will be required to obtain Cicerone certification within 6 months of hire.
- Knowledge of and passion for craft beer and the brewing industry.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Strong communications skills – knowing when to ask questions, offer solutions, discuss issues and escalate problems – and then communicating effectively in these situations
- Attention to detail and adherence to standard operating procedures with minimal deviation
- Retail math understanding required
- Retail point of sales system knowledge and experience highly recommended.
- Knowledge of safe work operations, safety policies and procedures including sanitary handling of beverages, food and potentially hazardous chemical and materials
- Candidates must be able to effectively perform the following on a regular basis:
- Ability to function productively while standing and moving for significant periods of time necessary
- Moving heavy objects repeatedly with minimal assistance required (i.e. moving cases/sixtels/165 pound kegs of beer by self or with use of a hand cart/dolly)
- Be exposed to wet conditions
- Ability to operate effectively with continuous, moderate noise levels
- Entrepreneurial team spirit: willing to take initiative and jump in where needed; resourceful in making suggestions and offering solutions
- Problem solving: ability to quickly assess a situation and solve problems in a timely and effective manner
- Dependent independence: ability to work independently but also know when to seek direction/guidance appropriately and as needed
- Compensation will be based on experience. This is a non-exempt position. Selected individual will be eligible to earn overtime compensation for hours worked over 40 in any given week plus tips earned.
- Pay is biweekly based on hours worked.
- Paid time off (Full-Time Only)
- Branded brewery clothing including t-shirt, hoodie and polo
- Admissions to limited entry beer and industry-only events
- Weekly beer allotment
How to Apply:
Send a copy of your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include salary expectations and be sure to share your interest in this role and Idle Hands Craft Ales in your letter.
Note: All hires will be asked to provide professional references and will also be contingent on the successful passing of a credit and criminal background check.