Position: Assistant Tap Room Manager
Reports to: Tap Room Manager
Location: Malden, Massachusetts
Schedule: Full-time (40+ hours/week), afternoons, evenings and weekends.
About Idle Hands Craft Ales
Founded in 2010, Idle Hands Craft Ales LLC is a private, family-owned microbrewery based in Malden, Massachusetts. We were the Boston area’s first nanobrewery and are in the midst of our next growth phase, opening a new, expanded brewery and tap room in Malden. We are brewing traditionalists who focus on transforming simple ingredients into subtle and intricate flavors for all palettes, focused specifically on Belgian- and German-inspired craft beer. Idle Hands is a locally focused company with distribution currently only in Massachusetts.
We are seeking an energetic, detail-oriented and passionate craft beer aficionado to assist in operating and growing our new 50 seat tap room. This position will function as the front of house manager during periods when the Tap Room Manager is not present. Idle Hands has always had a successful tasting room presence (previously in Everett) but with our expansion into Malden, we have the opportunity to redefine the visitor experience and turn our tap room into a key craft beer consumer destination in the Boston area. This individual will join a small but growing team and will be instrumental to the continued growth and success of the brewery. Idle Hands Craft Ales is well positioned for continued growth and this position will prove to be a rewarding career opportunity for the right individual with a strong team orientation, entrepreneurial mindset and authentic appreciation for the craft.
The Assistant Tap Room Manager will work closely with the Tap Room Manager in the following:
- Tap Room Operations
- Serve beer to and filling growlers for customers
- Maintain safe, clean, healthy and sustainable tap room environment by daily cleaning
- Ensure an enjoyable and consistent Idle Hands Craft Ales customer experience for the public
- Maintain a welcoming, educational, exciting and inviting experience
- Actively participate in external-facing events at the tap room
- Participate in off-site tastings and beer festivals/trade shows as needed
- Promote Idle Hands Craft Ales and serve as brand ambassador
- Educate visitors about our products, company and culture
- Actively utilize brewery social media channels to promote news and updates related to the tap room
- Identify additional promotional/event opportunities and foster relationships for promoting the brewery
- Participate in the recruitment and selection of tap room and special event staff
- Assist with train and management of tap room and event staff
- Model the key attributes and cultural values of Idle Hands at all times
- Assist in meeting tap room financial objectives as they relate to overall brewery goals
- Facilitate inventory maintenance
- Participate in selection of appropriate Idle Hands-branded merchandise
- Organize/design merchandise display(s) to maximize revenue
- Manage all responsibilities of the Tap Room Manager in his/her absence
- Daily opening and closing of the tap room for public visitation and private events
- Serving as point of contact for all tap room related inquiries
- Coordinating and managing food vendors, caterers and food trucks on a daily basis, ensuring adequate stock and freshness
- Setting up, maintaining and cleaning tap system
- Ensuring adequate stocking of beer and sorting merchandise inventory
- Mitigating and responding to all tap room related issues as they arise
- Associates degree required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2 years minimum service-focused role in a bar/restaurant/brewery or similar environment
- TIPS (or equivalent) and ChokeSaver certification strongly preferred. Selected candidate will be required to become certified upon hire and before starting.
- Cicerone certification level I, a plus. Selected candidate will be required to obtain Cicerone certification within 6 months of hire.
- Knowledge of and passion for craft beer and the brewing industry.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and proven leadership skills
- Ability to troubleshoot tap systems/kegs
- Strong communications skills – knowing when to ask questions, offer solutions, discuss issues and escalate problems – and then communicating effectively in these situations
- Attention to detail and adherence to standard operating procedures with minimal deviation
- Retail math understanding required
- Retail point of sales system knowledge and experience highly recommended.
- Knowledge of safe work operations, safety policies and procedures including sanitary handling of beverages and potentially hazardous chemical and materials
- Candidates must be able to effectively perform the following on a regular basis:
- Ability to function productively while standing and moving for significant periods of time necessary
- Moving heavy objects repeatedly with minimal assistance required (i.e. moving cases/sixtels/165 pound kegs of beer by self or with use of a hand cart/dolly)
- Be exposed to wet conditions
- Ability to operate effectively with continuous, moderate noise levels
- Entrepreneurial team spirit: willing to take initiative and jump in where needed; resourceful in making suggestions and offering solutions
- Problem solving: ability to quickly assess a situation and solve problems in a timely and effective manner
- Dependent independence: ability to work independently but also know when to seek direction/guidance appropriately and as needed
- Compensation will be based on experience. This is a non-exempt position. Selected individual will be eligible to earn overtime compensation for hours worked over 40 in any given week plus tips earned.
- Pay is biweekly based on hours worked.
- Paid time off
- Branded brewery clothing including t-shirt, hoodie and polo
- Admissions to limited entry beer and industry-only events
- Weekly beer allotment
How to Apply:
Send a copy of your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include salary expectations and be sure to share your interest in this role and Idle Hands Craft Ales in your letter.
Note: All hires will be asked to provide professional references and will also be contingent on the successful passing of a credit and criminal background check.